Sunday, October 26, 2014

Sweet Reunion In Himeji

For weeks before traveling to Japan I had tried to make contact with former friends I had taught and baptized during the missionary years of 1969-71. Unfortunately over the years I have not kept up communicating with those special people and finding them became nearly impossible.

One sweet exception was our meeting with Sister Saeko Harada
44 years later
In 1970, Saeko Harada was 18 years old joining other girlfriends for a trip to the Osaka World's Fair.  Though they were Buddhist, the group decided to tour the "Mormon Pavillion" and as they exited, they signed the guest register.  Not long after, Saeko's name and contact information was forwarded to my companion and I who were working in her home town of Himeji (about 45 minutes south of Osaka).  We found our way to her home to visit but she was gone.  Her parents told her of our visit and she was sure we would not return -- but we did, and soon began teaching her.  In time, she felt the things we taught were true and wanted to be baptized but was not quite ready before I left Japan to return home.  However, soon afterward the missionaries did baptize her and she began her saga of membership in Japan -- a very tricky place to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
 In time, work commitments and caring for her aged and ill parents kept her away from church and eventually she quit going altogether.  Fortunately for us, after all these years she still lived in the same home and had the same phone number.  With the help of Bishop Ikegami and his wife, Yoko, we were able to meet her in her lovely home.
Her neatly kept garden
Beautiful furnishings
Bishop Ikegami translates for me and adds his own sweet testimony
The meeting was extraordinary.  She had become ill and relatively confined and lonely.  We spoke of our feelings all those years ago, what had happened since and assured her of our love and God's love for her, we also gave her a blessing. At one moment, she broke down in tears and said: "Now I know God remembers me."  Our visit made the whole trip to Japan more than worth it.

Of course, you can't go to Himeji without visiting the largest and most famed castle in all of Japan.  Just beautiful:

Inside the castle, we visited the "ladies quarters", a wing of the castle well protected and with numerous holes in the wall from which the warriors could shoot arrows  --  in fact, you can see those holes along the lower wall in the picture just above.
e.g. Shogun protecting his little Geisha
(Japanese men can't grow beards, but this little lady could!)

A real Samurai set of armor
Scary to think of encountering warriors dressed like this
Before we left Himeji, Bishop Ikegami and his wife took us out to the fanciest restaurant we've ever been in.  You checked your shoes into a private box with wooden key as you entered, then sat down to a cover price event of eating all you want of every imaginable fancy Japanese food -- much of which I never encountered before.  After paying, you have 2 hours to eat all you can and then must exit.  Judging by the number of bowls you see here, we enjoyed a lot!
Luke's classic comment was: "I wasn't hungry for the next 3 days!"
Our gracious hosts Hideyuki and Yoko Ikegami
The next morning Bishop Ikegami took us to a lovely mountain top set of Buddhist and Shinto shrines (often mixed in the same location).  This is where some of "The Last Samurai" movie was filmed and while we walked along a quiet path, Bishop Ikegami wistfully commented that "Movie stars walked this path".  His wife wanted to be clear, not just any movie star, but Tom Cruise!

The royal cemetery
Upon leaving Himeji, we headed for Osaka and our last two days in Japan.  On the way, we saw some classic rice fields in the process of harvest . . .

Next up - Osaka!


Ditto Family said...

My favorite post so far -- so wonderful to read about your reunion and especially her feelings of God's love for her!

Vicki Rinne said...

Such sweet and tender words, "Now I know that God remembers me."